Monday, January 08, 2007

Sushi Snacks!



It’s back! Sushi that is. For some reason I don’t understand, the student union quits serving sushi during winter and summer break. Today the students have returned, and after a more than 2 week hiatus, so has sushi. I wish I could say that I was a sushi aficionado. I’m not. My family isn’t fond of sushi, so we rarely eat at sushi places. But I have gotten in the habit of grabbing sushi at the union for lunch once or twice a week. So I really miss it when it’s gone. I suppose the fact that I eat student union sushi means I’m no connoisseur; but I enjoy it as reasonably healthy lunch. I have mixed feelings about the raw fish aspect of sushi. Although I often find it tasty, I have spent too much time at biology field stations when parasitology was being taught to want eat much raw fish. I do occasionally indulge and have raw fish if I’m somewhere where I trust the sushi chef knows how to pick clean, fresh, fish. Somehow I don’t have that level of confidence in the staff at the student union, so I usually stick with cooked fish varieties. So do "institutional" places just buy the "sushi kit in the box" and let whatever yahoo who happens to be working that day roll it up? It’s not like we’re in Japan where there the training of a sushi chef is a fine tradition. My lunch sushi might not be top notch, but I sure like it anyway. I’m glad it’s back. Yum!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I've tried sushi twice and both encounters were unpleasant. The first time was when we were visiting our son in London and he LOVES sushi. Some of it was ok but, naturally, the very last thing I put in my mouth was horrid. The second time was when our dinner club hired a chef to come and prepare sushi for us. Yuck! Waaaay too fishy for me.
Try saying "sushi chef" 3 times quickly. hehe