Tuesday, May 08, 2007

Insomnia and Bird Beads



Insomnia moment... it's 4 am and I can't sleep. The birds are chirping outside. I recently made a new discovery in nerd land...the Cornell University Bird Guide. The online guide has something the bird books do not... bird songs! So I'm laying here in bed with my laptop listening to bird songs, both outside my window and online. I'm trying, with little success, to identify the real bird songs. The funny thing is, when I play a bird song, my cat comes over and tries to stick his head under my computer. I guess he likes birds too.

In another nerdy moment, the necklace in the picture was bird inspired. One of the guys in my lab showed a picture of a Loon at lab meeting last month. I saw it and thought it was perfect bead inspiration... that red eye, the distinctive black and white patterning of the plumage. About the same time Art Bead Scene announced it's first monthly challenge, which was themed
Take Flight, so I decided I'd make a Loon bead necklace. I can't quite decide what I think of my creation. On one hand, it seems, well, loony! On the other hand, it seems a bit busy. Maybe my avian inspiration/interpretation skills need to be honed a bit. (Yup, I'm fishing for comments/criticism here!) I do think though, that I will try to design some more bird inspired beads in the future. I like it when nature inspires art.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

First of all, I grew up among bird lovers so I'm anxious to go to the Bird Guide.
Second - I love the necklace. I don't think it's too busy. I think you should continue in the same "bird vein" and create more, more, more!