Saturday, December 22, 2007

Comfort Food

A week ago or so my department had a holiday party at a nice hotel. The buffet was good, and for desert they served bread pudding with chocolate ganache. I happen to love bread pudding so I thought it it was quite the treat. I also thought it was odd choice of desert for a banquet because while I like bread pudding, I know many people that think bread pudding is disgusting. Like my kids. I guess it is one of those you either love it or hate it king of foods.

I think of bread pudding as an old fashioned desert. A depression era, good use of stale bread so it doesn't go to waste dish. Comfort food, one that reminds me of my grandma. She made delicious bread pudding. I try to make mine like she did, but it never comes out quite as good. Perhaps I need an actual recipe. Grandma never used one and neither do I, but unlike me, she was one of those marvelous cooks that could make anything taste good. Last night I had a party, and one of the guys from work brought a bread pudding (he knew it was a favorite of mine). His was a chocolate bread pudding, with nuts and orange zest and a delicious bourbon sauce, quite a bit different than grandma's, but very delicious! It was big hit at the party, as several of my friends are also big bread pudding fans. I may have to investigate bread pudding recipes and learn to master the perfect bread pudding. It's a definite comfort food for me, one that I think I should make more often.

No comments: