Tuesday, October 19, 2010

Squash Madness

Sunday I headed up north for my fall tradition, a trip to Crystal Hot Springs and a stop along fruit way to buy Halloween pumpkins. My favorite farm stand, conveniently the one that is also open on Sunday, has always fascinated me with it huge display of winter squash. All sorts of squash in a myriad of colors and textures and sizes. Huge boxes brimming with the biggest squash I've ever seen. Unfortunately, nobody in my family likes squash, so I've rarely cooked it. But since I just cook for myself now I decided to bring home a few new squash to try, not the standard acorn or butternut varieties but some I've never had before, like a sweet potato, buttercup and banana squash. Well, I thought I bought a banana squash. I searched and searched for a small banana squash and finally found one that was only about 15 inches long and 4 inches in diameter so I bought it. Believe it or not that was a small one. As I carried to to the car the bag broke and it slid to the ground. I picked it up and set it on the hood of my car while I juggled my pumpkin and other squash into the back seat. When I got home and went to carry all treasures into the house, it wasn't there. I must have driven off with it on the hood of my car, where I must have lost it the parking lot. Poor baby squash. Poor me, because I really wanted to try that variety. The lady at the farn stand said they were delicious. I'm wondering if this means I should splurge and enjoy one more fall trip to the hot springs, just so I can get another one.





No comments: