From last weekend's adventures, a lone stand of aspen that still thinks it is fall. A lesson in micro-enviroment I think!
Last night I was out late dancing with the singles group, got home and of course couldn't fall asleep. No big problem, as today is Saturday so I could sleep in this morning. And I really wanted to sleep in! But no such luck. At 8:30 AM I'm awakened by buzzing....not my alarm clock, I never heard my alarm even though I'm sure it was set and went off. I never remember to turn the darn thing off on the weekends. I then thought it was my smoke alarm, but that's not it. The smoke alarm is right over my bed and quite obvious and obvious when it alarms. I wander, confused and bleary eyed, into the hallway where I realize it's my carbon monoxide alarm that is buzzing. The CO monitor has never gone off in the more then 10 years I have owned it, so I don't even recognize the sound. I stare at it blankly, thinking there must be a reset button I can't find, all the while wondering if I'm feeling so confused because I was out late last night, and am tired, or if in reality I am fuzzy brained because I had been poisoned by noxious gas while I slept.
And then, across the room, my computer printer starts printing. Well, not really printing because a while back the darn thing decided it would only print blank pages, but making all the sounds an machinations it makes when it's going to print a page. Now I'm really confused... It it my friendly ghost again? (I will have to tell my ghost stories sometime.) I now stare blankly at it, confused. Then I realize I hear another weird noise drifting up from downstairs. I head down to investigate, and find the buzzer on my stove going off. How very weird, since my stove is an old one, with a mechanical timer, you know, the kind where you need to pull out the knob and turn the dial to set it. All so weird and in my groggy, sleep deprived state, king of freaky!!!
I am starting to wake up a little bit now, and look around the house to see if anything else weird is going on and make sure nothing is on fire or fuming somehow. Everything seems fine, so all I can figure is that something must have gone wacky with my electrical service. Out my living room window I notice my neighbors are out their yard in their robes. Maybe there is something weird going on in the 'hood thins morning? As I walk out onto my front porch their dog Miley, one of my best dog friends, runs over to greet me. I walk her back across the street and ask them about their power. Apparently theirs had just gone on and off a couple of times. So mystery solved I guess.
Momentary power outages are not terribly unusual here, but I can't say I ever remember having one mess with my electronics like that. I always try to find rational cause for the weird stuff around my house, but sometimes I can't. I suppose today I can blame the power company, but maybe I should blame my "ghost". I like to blame the ghost for the unexplained happenings at home.... as you never really know.