Wednesday, February 14, 2007

Nostalgia....

Today is a day that I'm feeling a bit nostalgic for my childhood in Cincinnati. Cincinnati was mentioned on the news last night because of the severe winter storm. Just for the heck of it I got on the internet to see if my nieces and nephews had a "snow day". Sure enough, they did. I have fond memories of those winter mornings back when I was in Jr. high and high school. Radio tuned to WSAI AM, Jim Scott in the morning, waiting and listening and hoping that my school district would close the schools. Rumor had it that if Dr. Hammond, the superintendent of schools, slipped and fell while retrieving his morning paper from the driveway, school would be called off. If he made it back inside without incident, we'd have to go to school. Regardless of how the decision was made, our district was always the last to cancel school. Once, when I was in high school, I was on the bus halfway to school when a mother came out to the bus and told the driver that school had been closed. Those snow days were always exciting, there was nothing better than hearing your schools name on the cancellation list!

Sometimes I feel bad that my kids never experience snow days. Salt Lake is used to and prepared for heavy snow, so they pretty much never cancel school here. Once, when the kids were in elementary school, we awoke to 16 fresh inches, with snow still coming down like crazy, and they didn't cancel school. I thought it was unsafe to be out and about so I gave my kids a snow day, that was one and only snow day they ever had.

When I told my kids that their cousins had a snow day they sure were jealous!

No comments: