Sunday, April 13, 2008

A Perfect Weekend..

There is not much better that a perfect spring weekend here in Utah. It was fairly chilly all week, with rain and snow here in the valley, and something like 35 inches of new snow in the mountains. Then *poof* along came the weekend, sunny with temperature in the 60's and 70's.
It was so nice on Saturday my girlfriend and I took our road bikes out for the first ride of the season. Our typical loop is about a 12 mile ride heading down through Holladay to the mouth of Big Cottonwood Canyon, then up along Wasatch Boulevard back to out neighborhood. It's a nice ride, especially through the scenic part of Holladay, and the ride along Wasatch, the high, road along the mountain side that has a wonderful view or the mountains. I fared pretty well for my first ride; I managed to pedal all the way up the one "big" hill, although I sure needed to stop and catch my breath at the top. I can see some training is in order! I was afraid I was going to be sore on Sunday, but as it turned out the only sore spot was my rear end. I definitely had a good case of bikers butt. Even with my padded bike shorts and plenty of "natural" padding, my butt bones were sore from sitting on that road bike seat. It sure felt great to get out for a ride.

And if a stellar bike day wasn't good enough, on Sunday we headed up to Brighton for an afternoon of skiing. Spring skiing! Warm weather, sunshine and crazy spring snow. Spring snow can be a little weird; soft and silky on the hills, icy in the shade, thick and slow in in the flat spots. Definitely an exercise in staying loose and constantly readjusting ones balance.

Now I have a great case of happy legs, a sore butt, and a wee bit of sunburn on my nose. What a marvelous way to spend a weekend.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...

Ah, Linda, the weekend sounds like it was the perfect medicine for you. Those of us who live in winter wonderlands sure appreciate springtime, don't we?