Tuesday, May 08, 2012

Where the deer and the antelope play...


I'm sure I've mentioned before that living here in Utah we are a bit spoiled by all the wonderful, spectacular places we have to go adventuring. This weekend I headed out with a bunch of friends to one of my favorite local adventure spots - Antelope Island, an island in the middle of the Great Salt Lake, conveniently connected by a man made causeway so getting there is easy. Sunday we hiked the Sentry Peak trail, a trail I had not hiked before. A 6.5 mile loop up over the hill to base of Sentry peak, a leisurely hike at low (for Utah) altitude and not much elevation gain ~940 ft) We were treated to sweeping views of the island range land, the beautiful lake surrounding the island, and the snow capped mountains of the Wasatch and Stansbury mountain range. Wild flowers were blooming, and the wild life abundant. Lots of birds, we flushed a few chukars, and saw quite a few lizards, and of course buffalo. Despite being named Antelope Island, antelope sitings are relatively rare. We were lucky enough to see a few antelope off in the distance, but nothing I could snap a picture of. The island is more famous for it herd of buffalo, and got to see lots and lots on our hike, more today than any other time. I just love the feeling of standing on a hill high above the Great Salt Lake, taking in the incredible scenery. I wish my pictures did it justice.





No comments: