Wednesday, July 28, 2010

Minnesota Travelogue


I have always wanted to go to Minnesota. I'm not sure why, other than it is a cold weather place and I'm a cold weather person, or because I enjoy Garrison Keillor's "A Prairie Home Companion" Radio show or liked his book "Lake Wobegon Days" or maybe I wanted to see the 10,000 lakes. My brother moved to the Minneapolis area a few years ago, the kids and I each had a $100 Delta airline that needed to be used by August I had a holiday weekend and the kids were both in town, so we jetted off to Minnesota for a long weekend.




My brother lives way out in the western country/suburbs In the little town of Minetrista. The area is every bit as lovely as Garrison Keillor portrays it in Lake Wobegon Days. Green trees and idyllic farmsteads with waving fields of wheat and beautiful old barns. Lots of lakes, the biggest being Lake Minnetonka. We stopped along the lake at the cute little town of Wayzata, an old historic railroad town. The old train depot is now a museum, and outside the station they had this cute model train running outside.


No comments: