Wednesday, February 07, 2007

One of those weeks...

Saturday-could have been a better day. First I received my Bead Review rejection in the mail. I had been doing my best to think positively about my submission so I a was a tad disappointed, but that's life. Nothing ventured nothing gained.

Then I get a phone call from my son (danger boy, I should call him). He was up at Brighton trying out his new skis. "Mom, I fell in the half pipe and I'm coughing up blood. Do you think I should come home?" Now that's the kind of call a mother just loves to get! So 20 questions from me:"How much blood? Can you breathe OK? Do you feel bad?"..... It wasn't "that much blood" and he could breathe fine, but I told him he should come home anyway - Duh! Of course I was nervous waiting for him to get home, picturing his lungs filling with blood or him passing out or something. He arrived home safely, and when I had him spit in a cup there was only a tiny bit of blood. I think he's fine.

Later that day my husband goes to use the hot tub, and it is perilously low on water. When the water gets too low two of the jets shoot the water about 8 feet out of the tub. Refilling the tub in the winter is a pain in the butt. Hooking up frozen hoses at the spigot 6 inches above the ground behind my potting bench is always fun. Unfortunately, when we turned on the water as much water leaked out from behind the tap as came out the hose. Not a good sign. Oh well so a little water is running in to my crawlspace. No biggy, finish filling the tub.

Sunday- Matt wakes up feeling like he's been run over by a truck - *surprise*! I think he probably cracked a rib, which of course there's nothing much he can do for it. I go to take my shower, and there is no hot water, and no one else has used it all up.
Crap, I'd better do down in the crawlspace and see why my water heater's not working. I hate going in my crawlspace. It's more of a "stoopspace" but the floor is dirt and of course it spider webby. Sure enough the "little bit of water" managed to work it's way to the hole in the dirt where my water heater sits, and flooded it. So Bob and I crawl around in the mud and try to light it, to no avail. Time to call a plumber. So try to get a plumber to come out on Super Bowl Sunday! Plumber #1 - $250 to relight my water heater. No thank you. Plumber #2 - I wait and wait and no one comes. I call their dispatch who says "Oh didn't they tell you we're backed up and only doing warranty work today" Which, I think, means they're watching the game. Plumber #3 will come out at 9:30 Monday morning.

Monday- "Pioneer" showers suck! I took the morning off to meet the plumber, who had to take apart the water heater burner to unplug the waterlogged gas line. An hour and $55 later my water heater was working again. I think I got off easy. I need to get the plumber back to fix my pipe. He didn't have time to do that too. Thankfully it only leaks when the tap is on. Matt stayed home from school since he was hurting so bad from his little ski accident.

Things aren't much better at work. Our imaging system gives me an over-temperature error. Considering that every service call runs ~$5000 or more, we live in fear of it breaking. Luckily our department electronics guy found a bad fan near the laser, so he should be able to fix it. But of course his fan source is out of the part. I locate a different supplier- new fan $5.99! (Would be $59 from the instrument company! Hows that for mark up?) I think I'll have him replace them all. Better to spend $24 dollars on fans than to risk overheating a $50,000 laser. Later that day we notice things in the freezer that should be frozen are thawed. Crap...is the freezer broken or did someone leave the door open? If you don't put the sample racks back properly the door doesn't shut right. So I move all the expensive perishable enzymes to a different freezer just in case, shut the door and pray that everything is frozen in the morning. So now I'm scared to go to work tomorrow, for fear I'll have a broken freezer to deal with. We have 5 freezer, that are pretty darn full. No good overflow system if one breaks.

I need this crappy week to change!!! At least I managed to go the gym today, and walk the dog. Both things good for my stress level. And this morning my daughter made me happy. She thanked me for her "bones". She decided she likes her facial bone structure. A 15 year old girl who is actually happy about her appearance is a wonderful thing!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

My, what a week and it's only Wed.! Let's hope that dark cloud that seems to be following you every-friggin-where will move along and rain crap down on someone else.