Saturday, June 04, 2011

Don't spill the beans!



I'm not a "morning" person, especially when I am up late, which being a "night" person is a lot of the time. Last night I decided to head out to 10:30 movie, so I was a bit bleary eyed this morning. I stumbled down the stairs toward the kitchen, to brew some coffee of course, and I spied something brown on the floor. A coffee bean. Hmmm... that's weird. I did buy a bag of coffee last night, maybe the bag had a leak I did not notice when I carried it into the house. I turned the corner into kitchen and there are more beans on the kitchen floor. On the counter I find the bag of coffee I bought last night, laying there open with more spilled beans.

I am a little confused. Has our ghost been busy? Did Sarah have a late night party? I walk back upstairs to ask Sarah if she knows why there is coffee everywhere, but she is not in her room. Perhaps she got up early and made coffee? But why would she have left such a mess??? Besides, the grinder wasn't out and the coffee pot was cold.

I follow a trail of coffee beans into the den, where I find Sarah buried under a blanket on the futon couch. On the coffee table next to a dirty ice cream bowl is a pile of coffee beans. In the bowl is a small pile of chewed up beans. I asked Sarah why she made such a mess with the coffee. She mumbled that it wasn't her, it must have been Daisy, our dog. Then she sat up and I saw that the couch was also littered with coffee crumbs. It appears that Sarah must have been in the mood for a late night, sleepytime snack! Yum... (Eek)

She did occasionally sleep walk as a child. The time she tried to brush her teeth with peanut butter is a family legend. But I did not know she was still a sleepwalker, although apparently this is not news to her college roommates. I think the coffee bean incident is one more for the family story book.

Her burning question this morning.... She says she goes through life doing her best not to embarrass herself while she is awake, but how the heck can she keep from embarrassing herself while she is asleep?

1 comment:

Ellen said...

When I was a kid I walked a block from my friend's house, where I was spending the night, to my house - in the dead of winter - barefoot! Never woke up.