Sunday, May 29, 2011

First Hike of the Season


My first hike of the year was with the meetup, a social hike followed by a barbecue up Millcreek Canyon. We hiked the Desolation Trail out to the Salt Lake overlook. It's a nice hike, about 2.5 mikes out to the overlook, and perhaps not quite as steep as many of the Millcreek Canyon hikes. A perfect first day of the hiking season hike.

Arriving at the overlook is always a little bit of a PTSD moment for me. The first time I did that hike was with cub scouts... imagine all those young boys scampering over all those rocks. Imagine me as one of the responsible adults on the trip. Imagine me being a Nervous Nellie worrying that one of kids would fall off the rocks. It was nicer today, not having anyone to worry about. An excellent start to the hiking season, hopefully the first of many more to come.

As nice as the view of the valley is, I admit I prefer the views of the mountains. And, of course, me being me, for me the real treat for the day were the Glacier Lilies that lined sections of the trail.








The view from the overlook



First wild flowers of the season

No comments: