Thursday, October 04, 2012

Sedona Sojourn Day 2

Day 2, on the road again... heading south to Sedona. There are two ways to get there from Kanab. Highway 89 and Highway 89a. I had been advised to to take both routes, one on the way down, one on the way back. I chose 89a, the slightly longer route, which heads south towards the north rim of the Grand Canyon for the way down. First thing I found was that Kanab bar that I couldn't find when I thought I'd seek a beer the night before... Apparently Kanab, UT keeps it bars just over the border in Arizona. The drive towards the north rim made me a little melancholy. The only other time I'd traveled that road was years ago when my parents came to visit. We had gone to Bryce and Zion National Parks and while at Zion dad decided that since the Grand Canyon was only about 100 miles away we detour should go see it. I spent much of the drive thinking about Dad, who I lost last year, and how excited he was to take that drive to see one of our national landmarks.

I cheered up when I got to Jacobs Lake Lodge. On another family visit my sister and family took a similar southern Utah trip. Up on their return my sister and brother in law could not stop sing of the praises of the quaint Jacobs Lake Inn. So I stopped there, and had had a nice breakfast, tried to call my sis to say "Guess where I am?", but lack of cell service had me send them post card from there instead.

As I drove away from the inn the most interesting creature crossed the road in front of my car. At first I thought it was skunk because it was black and white, but it paused on the side of the road I realized it was a black and white sguirrel. Wasn't quick enough to snap a picture, but a little google search revealed it to be an Abert's Squirrel.


The views Of the Vermilion Cliffs were spectacular as I descending down from the Kaibab Plateau.




My first Indian ruins of the week!


No comments: