Tuesday, October 16, 2012

Sedona Sojourn Day 5

Sedona from Cathedral Rock
Not a wilderness hike today but a fun climb up to the base of the spires of Cathedral Rock.
Cathedral Rock

View from the spires

View from the spires


One fun thing about traveling alone is that you never know who you will meet along the way. Coming down from Cathedral Rock I ran into a guy. I don't remember why we started talking, but he was an energy healer from Canada. He had driven 36 hours to come see Sedona's energy vortexes, one of which is near Cathedral Rock. I can't say I'm a 'believer', but I am curious so I asked him if I could tag along. He agreed and we headed down the trail to the creek where the vortex is purported to be. I can't say I felt any magic energy, but the hike along the creek was beautiful and the conversation interesting. Across the creek is Buddha beach, where people visiting the vortex have built lots of small rock cairns offering healing prayers.
Creek by Buddha Beach

After my apres hike soak in the hot tub at the resort I headed out on my second adventure of the day... a trip to Jerome AZ, an old copper mine town perched high on the mountains about 30 miles west of Sedona. The mining days are over, and now the town is bit of an artist community. Not much was open when I arrived, but I did find a great gallery of local and had a lovely chat with the owner. Being alone really opens up the door to a lot of interesting conversations.
Jerome




Walking up the street I found a great little southwester restaurant, Quince. As I was contemplated the menu deciding whether it was where I wanted to eat, a guy with a guitar walked in... so I knew it was the place for me. I sat at the bar, joked with the bartender, ordered food and a very yummy margarita. A prickly pear fresh mint margarita, made with lime and Grand Marnier and good tequila... definitely not a 'Utah' drink. LOL The music was awesome, a fabulous guitar player, Eric Miller. Spanish/jazzy, all I can say is that I think I'm in love...(well, with his music) I sat for 2 hours and listened until he was finished, then had to by a CD...nice guy too we had a nice little chat about music and he even showed me pictures of his sisters artwork What at lovely evening, I never would have though I'd have such fun adventuring out on my own.

Quince



No comments: