Sunday, December 16, 2007

Sleigh Bells Ring....

It seems I have been absent from the the world of my blog for a while. It's that hectic time of year; too much to do, not enough time. This was the week I needed to get all the gifts for my family, who all live across the county from me, in the mail. I've also tried to muster up enough holiday spirit to do some decorating. I put up my outside lights(well, half of them) last weekend, and today I decorated inside the house. Perhaps tomorrow we will go look for a tree, if not tomorrow sometime next week.

So how do you like my sleigh bells? They are one of my Christmas treasures. I found them in my in-laws basement, I presume they belonged to a long gone relative. I've always wondered who's they were, where they traveled and how old they are. A quick Google search found a site all about sleigh bells. (You just have to love the internet!) After reading that site I'm pretty sure these bells date back to the mid to late 1800's. From what I know of the family history, I'm guessing the bells traveled the south east Ohio country side. Now they adorn the garland I hand from staircase banister. Once in a while one gets bumped as someone ascends the stairs and makes a most delightful noise!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Good on ya for decorating, Linda. You're way ahead of me. I have a wreath on the front door and I finally put the tree up. Putting the tree up sounds like I actually did something, doesn't it? Well, it's a little one, fully decorated and all I have to do is bring it downstairs from the closet. I really didn't even feel like doing that but DH had that "hang dog" look on his face so . . .